Friday, January 8, 2010

New Year Resolutions

Today was my first day back after a three week hiatus over Christmas and New Years. It was good to be back on the mat. I felt refreshed and ready, though I really need to get back into my running routine, my cardio sucked! I had been reading over Saulo Ribeiro's "Jiu-Jitsu University" over the holidays and was inspired not only by the plethora of techniques available but of the way Ribeiro spoke of BJJ. It stuck with my that I want to step on the mats and really let my ego go and just play. This year I want to study hard and play, play, play.

A lot of people treat the New Year as a time to focus on getting fit and losing weight (yeah, I ate a few too many mince pies too....) but whilst I acknowledge that I do desire to lose weight this year, I also felt like I was devaluing my body by feeling this. So many women (and men too) get caught up  in weight issues, myself included and sometimes training in a sport like BJJ, you do become aware of your weight. I am aware that I am definatley the bigger girl here in Bangkok. I stand at 5'9 and lets just say I am not in the 60 and below weight bracket! This plays on my mind sometimes, and I wonder if other girls have ever felt that way? But then I got to thinking about me. I appreciate that my body is strong. It has faced and overcome challenges. I have been injured and recovered. My body treats me well and allows me to do what I can do. I owe a lot to it.

I believe that is why I want to treat me body well too. This year is about studying hard, playing and treating my body with care. I read in a magazine (ok, not the most reliable of sources) someone state that when people say they want to get fit that they are lying. That what everyone really wants is to lose weight. As stated, I am not immune to the desire to lose some weight, but I really want to just treat my body better and if a result is losing some weight, well that's just a bonus! So part of my study and practice is to incorporate a better diet, do more interval cardio runs and jump rope, kettlebells and pilates and meditation. Funnily enough, meditation is the hardest part for me. But I really want to work on it this year.

I hope all of you gals out there can appreciate your body for what it is as well. Look at how well it serves you in BJJ and be proud of it. HAPPY NEW YEAR to everyone and have fun playing on the mats :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh, that's a toughie. I no longer really care about the number on the scale, but wish that my clothing fit better! I ate fudge, and cake, and pizza, and all kinds of other bad things over the holidays and now my bottom half is harder to sweep (yeah, that's it!) I need to start feeding the machine higher quality fuel. Welcome back to the mats Jem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous: I haven't got back to the mats since 20th December, due to the damn snow! Grr. Probably not a major problem in Bangkok, I'm guessing. Though from what I remember of the traffic over there, think I'd probably stick with the snow. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Georgette! It is nice to be back on the mats! Had a takedown seminar by Garth Taylor today which I will posy on tomorrow and it was AWESOME!!

    Sorry to hear that you can't get to training! Weather is mad over there! Did a bit of BJJ then relaxed by the pool.....sorry!! I am lucky, the BJJ dojo is right below my apartment so I just have to walk downstairs!! But you're right - traffic here sucks!

    ReplyDelete