Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Familia

One of the things I most appreciate about BJJ is the sense of family that is created through the sport. I know I touched on this in a previous post, but walking into the gym today I realised how much I enjoy the company of my training buddies. I also miss many friends that have sinced moved either back to their homeland or to other countries.

I have an awesome training partner in Tomi-san. Tomi is a purple belt at our academy (Bangkok BJJ) and he always take the time to roll using technique with me. I think this is invaluable as a girl. Tonight I had to really pay attention to my own awareness (awareness of position, losing positions, recovery etc) and I appreciated how I was given the time to develop this awareness and try incorporate my game. Believe me, Tomi could walk through me if he so desired!

I also appreciated my friends who mentioned that have read this blog. I know it's early days, but my guys seem really supportive, so thanks! I think it's important to note that I really want to hear what my male friends have to say and that this is a forum for sharing thoughts and ideas as well as promoting women :) I know many friends (guys) that comment that rolling with women is different in some ways (not just with regards to the weight and strength differentiation) and this I find interesting too.

I would like to invite all my girlfriends from the Phillipines, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Japan and Singapore, to name just a few, to send in any materials - be it pictures, ideas, thoughts, reflections. I think it would be neat to have a forum, one place where we can collectively come together to not only promote women in the region but share our journey together too. Of course, I have girlfriends in the USA, UK and Australia and I welcome the sharing of anything BJJ from them too :) BJJ, espeically women in BJJ, is still a relatively small community and, as stated at the start, the community created is all part of an extended 'family'. Besides being exclusionary is just not necessary. I just hope to highlight how the community in SEA is developing with such amazing talent so that people coming to live/work/holiday in the region know that us gals (and guys!) are out here and having a blast :)

6 comments:

  1. Hey girl! I didn't know you had been promoted to purple :D I must be out of the loop!!!

    Congratulations :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh hon, you are totally not out the loop! I am still a blue belt! I just roll with a lot of guys at my gym that are purple :) one day, one day!!!

    Your blog has been inspirational Elyse - so anyone reading these comments, check out Elyse's blog at:

    http://www.gringabjj.com

    Hope to see you in the US soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the promoter of Jem! I wrote on MY blog that she's purple... doh! Will fix right now (eek!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For anyone that might think otherwise, some of the most technical blackbelts in the world are currently women. If you don't believe, just watch the Women's blackbelt finals of 2009 Mundials. As far as excitement and great technical BJJ, they totally blew the men away.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think women are just as exciting to watch too :) I think women get to train a little more technique as the majority of the time are unable to just explode out of positions when rolling with guys. Is that the reason? Hmmmmm, will have to think this one through and post on it.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not in SEA, but I'm in Korea. Neighbors! So, neighbor, can I please borrow your base? I'll bring it back this weekend. ;)

    I would love to join/help with any women-in-BJJ movements you do. :)

    ReplyDelete