Tuesday, December 15, 2009

A dialogue between friends.

I was recently inspired by a friend, whom I have not yet met, in the UK to reintroduce a blog concerning BJJ - in particularly - women training in BJJ.

I realised that I was moved by this encouragement. My training has ebbed and flowed. Mostly due to injury (and the much needed rest for recovery) and then through feeling inadequate on the mats. But through the reading and sharing of ideas, thoughts and reflections with other girls (in the extended BJJ family worldwide) I felt reinspired to get back on the mats. And I couldn't be happier.

I have met so many wonderful girls in BJJ. Mostly in South East Asia (SEA) where I live, but also online worldwide. Due to the nature of the game, there are seemingly never as many gals as guys, but the numbers are increasing! Part of the reason for setting up this blog was to create a way in which for us to all keep in contact. Through the rough times, I have turned to other girls and have found out that they too have felt the way I have felt, that they too have experienced the frustrations that comes with training (as a girl) in BJJ. This has helped me no end and kept me going. I want to contribute to this and provide a forum in which to share ideas and training tips. To create conversation between friends separated by sea.

This blog is obviously not restricted to just girls. I love my male team mates and I would not be where I am in BJJ without them. I welcome their responses and contributions just as much the girls. But I do want to help in creating visiblity to girls in BJJ in SEA.

SEA is bubbling with BJJ and this enthusiasm is gaining momentum each year. I am proud to call Luke who is the author of BJJ Asia a friend of mine as I believe he has done a lot to promote BJJ in SEA. This blog is in no way an attempt to replicate the sheer cohesiveness that has been created through BJJ SEA. This is simply a blog where I share my perspective(s) and training trials and tribulations and pictures, and I hope that my friends in the BJJ scene (both guys and gals) can help contribute to a fun, productive and meaningful dialogue that will help us all in this amazing journey.

2 comments: